So with the Bad Magic exercise out of the way I finally have time to work on Boonka.
In my head, most of the backgrounds are done in watercolour. I’ve kind of maybe done it once before, and I liked the general idea of that look, as far as I can remember… You see where I’m going with this, don’t you? Once again, I have no idea what I’m doing.
I decided to test my ideas by drawing the simpliest background I have: plain blue skies. When in doubt, look at pictures… and an hour later I found myself with 14 pinterest tabs open and still no clue whatsoever. Okay, that’s cool, I’ll just start putting water and paint onto the paper, no biggie.
I do enjoy putting paint onto paper. I kind of wish I didn’t spill the water all over my desk though, but I was fortunate enough to not get any liquids on my tablet, keyboard or phone, and a short wash might even be a good thing for all these pens and pencils anyway.
I’ve scanned my experiments and played around in photoshop, and I think I have a better idea now. At least now I feel a little more confident with the direction I should be moving in. And I know for a fact that I should stop twiddling about with the backgrounds and get onto fixing my animatic first. So there’s that!