So I think I found a pattern that might work for me. I started off drawing gestures, and when I came across one I thought would make for a good merdude I spent a little more time on it. Okay, a lot more time.
Then I finished the illustration piece I spent ages on (tried to style it after the art of people with schizophrenia, tied to the story) and then I goofed around with my camera, trying to make it take videos while connected to the comp.
Going to make a video showing my process in creating a doll for my animation short! Pretty excited about that one, actually. I’m still looking for an extension arm for my tripod, so that I can have the camera directly above my hands, otherwise I’m really struggling to keep everything properly focused.